Pages

Jun 19, 2009

quilt-along - imperfection and troubleshooting

right now i am working on the quilt backing but before i can show that i thought it might be interesting to share some mistakes (and their solututions!) i made throughout the whole process.

getting more and more experienced as a seamstress i don´t get as desperate as some years ago anymore but "just" think hard how to mend the stuff i did wrong. if i am lucky and did not cut anything wrong it usually means undoing, ripping and sewing again. and sometimes again (and again :-)

but tell you what: although i have some imperfection going on here i still like my work and the result. i think you learn that when you do a lot of stuff yourself.

so here´s a classical mistake: wrong directions of fabric pieces.
the panel on the left bottom side has vertical red stripes, while the other two visible gingham parts are horizontal.

after i actually saw the problem (took me some time) i undid the seams and sewed it together again, this time right.

here are two examples of missing amounts of fabric (don´t ask me how that could happen in the first place).
first there is about 1 cm missing on top of the upper pale green stripe.
again i opened a seam and put a piece of the dark-pink fabric there which i had lying around here since the big cutting-event.
this probably will be hardly visible when the binding is sewn on.


and this was an early mistake: i measured wrong while cutting one block. so here at the vertical block there was a bit at the bottom missing (right above the pink-red ornament stripe). i took leftovers of the exact same block and sewed it on - i hope this won´t be too visible with the coming up quilting.
(if you click on the picture you can see it very well by the way..)
imperfect, but i still love it. maybe even more just because of these little special corners on my quilt. i can go looking for them later on when it is in use and then know even more that i did this work.

4 comments:

  1. As I said on Flickr, it looks lovely and you won't see it! I just read your disclaimer at the bottom. That's shocking! You can't possibly be held responsible for all your links! that's crazy! I am not sure what the situation is in the UK but maybe I should put a disclaimer up too, just in case... (even though I link to lots of very nice people.. better safe than sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there, Rafael´s Mum,thanks so much for encouraging me :-)
    this disclaimer-thing is kind of standard in germany, we have very, very inscrutable internet-laws and lots of lawyers who make a living by suing "normal" people for (missing) stuff like that. it´s totally crazy. so as far as i know i need that - but you can never be absolutely sure..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not heard of it yet in the UK, but you can't be too careful.. I have put a copyright notice up, why not a disclaimer? At least you are covered! Love your prints and colours! My quilt is coming on very very slowly.. I think too much, have too little time and never machine quilted yet, so it's going to be fun trying to do it all in one week! (not!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy your description of making your quilt. My sister and I have been quilters for many years. I'll drop by now and then to see how things are going.

    ReplyDelete

Willkommen auf dem machen und tun Blog aus München!
Ich freue mich immer über Eure Kommentare und Fragen. Die Sicherheitsabfrage muss leider manchmal eingeschaltet sein, um dem Spam etwas Einhalt zu gebieten, sorry dafür! ::::::::::::::::::::
I love to hear from you! So sorry though you´ll have to pass the security thingy now and then: otherwise I´ll drown in spam..

Related Posts with Thumbnails